Chania Food Tasting Tour
€99 €89 per person
On this fully guided interactive Chania walking tour, stroll around Chania’s narrow picturesque alleys and sample the unique flavours of Cretan famous specialities. Our friendly local guide will introduce you to some of the island’s wonderful long-established dishes, which are created exclusively with fresh local ingredients.
As you make your way along the bougainvillaea and jasmine-scented streets, you will call in at various eateries to sample some of the culinary delights that make Crete one of the world’s most popular cuisines. You will also learn about Cretan culture and interact with people in shops to gain a wonderful understanding of the island’s hospitality and traditions.
The journey begins with a stop at a 1924-built ‘bougatsadiko,’ where you will sample a typical bougatsa delicacy paired with a Greek coffee. Filo pastry is used to make the exquisite pie, which is filled with sweet Cretan cheese, ‘mizithra’, and topped with a coating of sugar and cinnamon.
During your leisurely walking tour, your expert guide will discuss the value of aromatic herbs, virgin olive oil, and other seasonal produce used in Greek cooking, so you may discover and enjoy the unique flavours of Crete.
A visit to a renowned Cretan eatery for a light lunch, a stop at a local bakery to learn about traditional cake and biscuit recipes, a chance to sample ‘loukoumades’ (Greek doughnuts with honey and cinnamon), and, last but not least, a tasting of mouth-watering local cheeses are all included in this well-received scenic and appetizing tour.
- Guided walking tour and commentary throughout
- Morning tea at a café
- Variety of food and cultural stops
- Market visit
- Bakery and delicatessen visits
- Tasting samples
- Introduction to Chania, its food and its culture
- Taste the most popular local, authentic and traditional Cretan food
- Learn about the origins and health benefits of the Mediterranean diet
- Learn about the Cretan way of life and its people’s eating habits
WHAT TO BRING:
- An appetite!
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Casual and comfortable clothing and shoes
MEETING/DROP OFF POINT:
- At the entrance of the municipal market, please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start time. Platia Agoras 69, Chania, Meet on the Sofoklis Venizelos Square side
DepartureIn front of the municipal market of Chania
Departure Time9:30 and 12:30